Employment advice

Links to local employment and job support in Central Bedfordshire:


The Disability Resource Centre offers training courses to improve confidence, gain new skills and to access support in progressing into employment.

Age UK Bedfordshire The Bromham Road office in Bedford has a trained team of staff and volunteers who can give independent advice on many topics for older people in Bedfordshire. . The Age UK website provides a page on work and learning information for people in later life; including looking for work,redundancy and external links for different classes and courses, including computer training.

Central Bedfordshire Council Providing employment advice and support to people who want to enter employment and/or seeking to improve their career.

Supported housing which was previously known as Bromford Support, this service has transitioned over to Central Bedfordshire Council and aims to support people who either have little or no experience of living independently, a history of homelessness or experiencing tenancy breakdown.

Directgov job search is a job search page where there are hundreds of job vacancies in Central Bedfordshire.

BRCC (PETE)– Voluntary Works. Helping people who have autism, a learning disability or a mental health condition to make progress towards the labour market.

Jobs22 give the opportunity for people to develop the skills that employers are looking for.

Links to online tools & useful websites:


Benefits Calculator – Find out what benefits you are entitled to.

Employment Allowance Calculator – You can add a number of employees and their salaries to see the overall effect on your payroll.

Job seeker’s allowance – The government provides job seekers allowance for those who are unemployed but are looking for employment.

Citizens Advice Guide includes information on rights at work, problems at work, when work comes to an end, young people & employment and many more sections.

Acas provides information, advice, training, conciliation and other services for employers and employees to help prevent or resolve workplace problems.

Pension Wise A free and impartial government service that helps you understand your new pension options.
The Pensions Advisory Service The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) is here to give people professional, independent and impartial help with their pensions – for free.
Employer Line Employer line offers help and support for employers and business owners.
Action for Blind People is a national charity with local reach, providing practical help and support to blind and partially sighted people of all ages. They offer visually impaired people help to find a job.
National Careers Service provides information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work opportunities.
Health and Safety Executive website has information regarding work related health and safety issues for many occupations and how to prevent health risks- such as dermatitis or asbestos related illnesses.
TCHC offers a range of government-funded services to employers, employees and job seekers. They can help in many areas such as redundancy, apprenticeships or training.
Community Voluntary Service is a community sector support organisation that develops, enables, promotes and supports local voluntary and community action across Bedfordshire.

Share this page

Advice Central

Your open door to advice in Central Bedfordshire


0300 303 6666

Instant help:

Simply click the pink ‘Chat with us’ button below, open 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday

Mondays at Mayfield in Dunstable

Our Advice Central staff and volunteers are here to assist you with all your needs, every Monday at the Mayfield Centre in Dunstable from 9am to 2pm, no need for an appointment.

Read More »

Expert help and support every Monday in Dunstable

18 February 2022 Mondays at Mayfield in Dunstable Come along to Advice Central’s Mondays at Mayfield, from 10am-2pm. Enjoy free tea and coffee and a range of support and help: Meet with the Safer Streets team on ways to keep your home and family safe Receive free lateral flow test kits from Central Bedfordshire Council’s

Read More »

Housing Benefit: Get help paying rent

Housing Benefit is a government assistance program that helps low-income households with their rent payments. If you qualify for Housing Benefit, you can receive government assistance to cover your portion of the rent. Read our guide to Housing Benefit…

Read More »

Housing support from your local council

Local councils offer support to residents who might otherwise struggle to find affordable housing. These programs usually take the form of housing allowances and grants, which can be accessed by meeting certain criteria (such as income level, age or family status)…

Read More »

Helping you keep cool in the heatwave

We’ve found some handy links (thanks to our new volunteer, Owen) to help you in the heatwave in summer 2022. See useful tips for coping in the hot weather from the Met Office, NHS, The Guardian, Age UK and Sky News…

Read More »
Skip to content